Thursday we had been given a project by our tutor and a guest speaker, Gareth Strange. The project we were given was a rebranding project, giving an identity to a brand or company that suited them best in terms of what their values were and what they wanted out of their identity to communicate to a suitable audience. We were put into groups of four and given the task to create a marque and have it placed upon five deliverables.
My group of four were given the task of rebranding Robot Baby. We were given a profile of the company and what they wanted to sell to their customers. It is a robot toy aimed towards 7-14 year olds founded by computer science graduates. It has an intelligent assistant built into it which follows orders and gives answers. We highlighted the words bright, vibrant, slick, and retro. These were values we needed to reflect upon in the marque we were going to create. The logo above was the original marque for the brand and we were tasked with recreating a logo, making it look more desirable and appealing to customers and the audience of the product.
Brief research we conducted was looking into what brands and kids toys reflected similar values and qualities to Robot Baby. Transformers and Hex bug were very similar brands. We specifically wanted to look the typefaces used in the identity of the products they created and also the colours. Hex bug was especially useful because they don’t direct their products towards any specific gender.
As a team of four we first started sketching and mind mapping. Initially we were stuck for ideas because we were without an image of the robot. If we had an image of the robot the logo would be more effective which would make the identity successful. However, since the brand was made up for the workshop we came up with the idea that we could find an image online of what we thought the robot would look like. We used this image to come up with more ideas for the design of the marque. This also formed part of our research.
We had come up with ideas that were forward thinking, reflecting the futuristic quality the robot toy would hold for 7-14 year olds. This would be a similar process to the 100 Ideas project we had completed in the previous week, producing many ideas in a limited space of time, and most importantly reflecting the values of the brand and what identity they wanted.
The ideas we had come up with featured arrows, text, and a simplified image of the robot that would have to fit with the text. Although there were disagreements we eventually decided on a design for the marque and we used illustrator to digitise the logo so it looked professional and so we could place it upon deliverables in a matter of seconds. At first we digitised it in black and white so then we could decide upon colour after positioning the elements together. We used the typeface Futura because we felt it best suited the tone of the logo. Then we could decide upon modifying it.
Deciding upon colours was difficult because we didn’t want to aim it towards a certain gender. We first started working with black and blue and decided to scrap some of the black for orange since it was a gender neutral colour and it seemed like an encouraging, welcoming and warm colour. The colours also reflect the bright, vibrant and retro values of the product and brand. We removed the torso of the robot and decided to use the head to replace the second ‘O’ in ‘ROBOT’. This made the logo less constrictive as to how we could explore type. We also looked at breaking up some of the letters to make the marque look more constructive, retro and slick. Making the width of the letter larger meant that the logo could be made legible on a postage stamp, as well as taking out a few of the breaks in letters.
After completing the marque we had to decide upon which deliverables would be most suitable for the product and brand. We created a poster, a billboard, a packaging design, a t-shirt design, and an app for which you could control where the robot would go and what more the toy could do. For the design of the packaging and the poster, we added a very faint pattern of a circuit board which we found online. This would keep the identity established for the brand.
Blank white billboard against the blue sky
After completing all our work we presented our work to the class and received very positive feedback. One thing we could have changed was using a different pattern to the circuit board which people would find quite cliche of a robot. Maybe instead of using the circuit board we could have created a pattern out of directive arrows for the audience to get a sense of the toy being forward thinking and futuristic. We also could have incorporated the slogan, ‘your intelligent friend’ into the poster. We said we found this difficult because we struggled to find a typeface that would have worked in the poster for the slogan. I thought this had been a very successful day of rebranding Robot Baby. We got the chance to work as a team on the project which we didn’t get with the 100 Ideas project.