Dyslexia – Ephemera development

Above are the posters we made for the printed ephemera required for the project to be complete. We stuck to a similar style to the animation, keeping it simple in black and white. These were created in InDesign by one of the group members, using Illustrator for the more creative features of the poster, such as the large and illegible text as the centre of the poster, and also the logo in the bottom right of each of the posters,  which was also featured at the end of the animation.

Before I checked the posters were okay to be printed off, there was a minor inconsistency. Where you see the small  description of the learning disability in the corner and the logo, there was inconsistency in proportion and the language of the descriptions and logos. This was soon fixed and luckily spotted before we printed them off.

What I like about these posters is how graphically interesting and creative they are. The black and white scheme really makes them stand out. However, I’m not too sure about the final poster for dysgraphia. I feel this poster would have worked better with the animation if we used the same handwriting. The handwriting on the poster here looks a bit scraggy and too expressive and ‘horror’ like for the tone of the poster. I also think a different sentence for the distorted text in the first poster would have worked better, to differ from the logo.

Concerning the digital ephemera we decided to create a gif for an app that would be used to show information, have a test to see if users are dyslexic, and also contacts, solutions and support on the app.

Mobile Poster idea.jpg

Below is the logo that we used which was created in Adobe Illustrator by one of the team members.

Logo Can you read this.jpg

Final remarks

I am very pleased with how our project turned out concerning the capabilities and potential it could have within the wider world. Although we didn’t go with the idea of imagery in the end, I still think we could have worked well on that, creating a strong, interesting, challenging, yet simple picture animation. Many people have different viewpoints on how we should present this topic.

For the animation, I feel it would extremely well. However, because some dyslexics sometimes fail to distinguish upper-case letters from lower-case letters, I felt like all the text used should have been in lower case to make it viewer-friendly for all people. I found this information on this website.

After putting our work up, spectators and fellow students looked at our work on display. I asked them for their feedback and many of them speculated and questioned as to why we used typography for the project, considering how dyslexics have a trouble with reading. At that point I felt common sense had gone out of the window considering the target audience was for dyslexic people as well as people who would ‘figure out’ they would have dyslexia at a later point. Maybe the group could have gone forward with the storyboard if we were looking for a different target audience or a different viewpoint on the topic.

The animation was extremely successful concerning the range of effects we used to express the different forms of dyslexia. I also think the colour scheme and pace of the animation was perfect considering the tone and the effects we used.

At some points in the production of the animation and ephemera, I sometimes felt left out to decisions and the creative making of the animation and posters. One time I was trying to fix something in the animation in the dyscalculia section where the two ‘1’s were out of place because of one or two many keyframes. Another group member felt the need to take over this task from me which I felt wasn’t needed. I also felt like I wanted to contribute more with the production of the ephemera, yet I was not notified of when two of the group members were meeting up to put the posters and the gif together. One of the key members of the group explained that because I joined the group late, it was as if I had no say in ideas. At this point I felt that just because I joined a group late, it really doesn’t mean that I have to be left out with decision making. However, I did play a part in the group with the amount of research I had conducted, the critical remarks I made, and the important ideas I came up with which would have informed the target audience. To resolve this issue in the slightest way, I decided I would put the two presentations together for the group to present to the class. Overall I think that the group collaborated very well together and produced some fantastic pieces of ephemera and animated text.

Concerning the overall aim of the project, the graphic creativity of the effects put into the animation was successful, however I felt, as an aspiring student, that the target audience was ignored at many points in time. Because this was supposed to be aimed at students, I felt that the campaign needed to be more inspiring for students, giving them more of a hope with an almost irresolvable learning disability.

These were my favourite pieces from the exhibition:

Advertisements

Author: jennifertaylorgraphics

First year student studying Graphic Communication at the Cardiff School of Art and Design

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s